Smoking is both a physical addiction and a psychological habit. The nicotine cigarettes contain produces an individual a temporary and addictive high. When that regular “fix” of nicotine is eliminated, it will cause a smoker’s body to experience physical withdrawal symptoms. Because of nicotine’s “feel good” effect on the human brain, smokers may have also become familiar with smoking as a way of dealing with stress, depression, anxious feelings or even boredom.
Additionally, for smokers, the act of smoking is ingrained as a daily ritual. For some, it is an automatic response. When they have their morning coffee, due to ‘habit routine’, they automatically pair it with a cigarette. When they take a break from work or school, they routinely light up a couple of cigarettes. There are also other smokers who use smoking to connect with other people. Perhaps their friends, family members and colleagues also smoke, so they practice the habit of smoking as a means to relate with others.
These are only a few reasons why stopping smoking is tough. However, the more that you learn about the benefits of quitting and about effective options that can help you overcome it, the easier the process will be.
What Happens When You Quit Smoking
According to the US Surgeon General, “Smoking cessation [quitting smoking] represents the single most important step that smokers can take to enhance the length and quality of their lives.” When you become smoke free, your health is not the only aspect of your life that will experience improvement. Every area of your life – financial, social, emotional, mental, physical and spiritual – will be filled with positive change. For a more specific view on the positive changes that happen when you quit smoking, here is a detailed timeline based on the findings of the American Heart Association and the US Surgeon General:
- In your first 20 minutes after quitting: Your blood pressure and heart rate recover from the cigarette-induced spike.
- After 12 hours of being smoke-free: The carbon monoxide levels in your blood return to normal.
- After 1 month without smoking: You can perform physical activities like exercising with less shortness of breath. Your clothes, body, car, home and work area will smell better. Your sense of taste and smell will return to normal and the stains on your teeth and fingernails will begin to fade.
- After 3 months without tobacco: Both your circulatory and respiratory system begin to improve.
- After 9 months of not lighting a cigarette: You may notice that your breathing is clearer and deeper. Coughing and shortness of breath also gradually diminishes. You regain the ability to cough productive instead of hacking. This benefit cleans your lungs and reduces your risk of developing respiratory infections.
- After 1 year: Your risk of suffering from coronary heart disease is reduced by 50 percent.
- After 5 years: Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and bladder are cut in half. Your risk of contracting cervical cancer and stroke also return to normal.
- After 10 years: You are 50 percent less likely to die from lung cancer. Your risk of larynx or pancreatic cancer decreases.
- After 15 years of smoke-free living: Your risk of developing coronary heart disease is now the same as a non-smoker’s.
Hypnosis for Smoking Cessation
Many people turn to hypnosis in order to address all types of problems, from emotional trauma to smoking cessation. There is great news for individuals who are ready to stop smoking permanently; there is undeniable evidence that hypnosis is a highly effective method for becoming a permanent happy, healthy non-smoker for life! Hypnosis is also known as a relevant tool in pain management, treating eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder, and helping with lessening pain during childbirth (hypnobirthing).
Education is the surest method of removing misconceptions and doubts regarding hypnosis. Because you must know how to handle life’s crisis and unwanted added stress, a program that includes preparation and planning is a most ideal method for a person reflecting on being smoke-free, forever. It will support you in your success journey to smoke-free living. In hypnosis, the feeling is very similar to day-dreaming. We all go in and out of this natural altered state of routine each day; you daydream about vacations, and think how many times your mind plans things while you’re at a stop light. Overcome concerns by learning more about how it can help you succeed, far more easily than you may have imagined.
The basic principle of hypnosis for smoking cessation is to create a new healthy reality. You rid “unhealthy” thoughts and replace them with positive beneficial thoughts that encourage the smoker to stop a dangerous habit. The idea is to reprogram an individual’s subconscious to truly understand the three critical principles of quitting which are: (1) smoking is poison to the human body, (2) the body is needed to live and (3) protect your body. Hypnosis helps you to take control of the habit that has treated you like a 3rd class citizen. Every hypnotherapist has his or her own unique way of helping you achieve your goal to quit smoking. For instance, there are practitioners who use the power of direct suggestions. As a hypnotherapist, I designed an extraordinary 3-part program that you can only experience at Alternative Wellness & Beyond.
Alternative Wellness & Beyond’s 3-part Program
- On your first visit to Alternative Wellness & Beyond, you will undergo an “Intake Interview.” In this interview, I will collect pertinent information relating to your smoking habits and I will also answer all your questions about hypnosis. Feel free to ask about myths and misconceptions about hypnosis and express any concerns that you may have. I will educate you and help you build positive expectancy for becoming a happy and healthy non-smoker. We will also review my protocol book that you will receive; it is designed to effectively prepare you for success.
- On your second and third visit, I will serve as your hypnosis guide. I will help you tap into your powerful subconscious mind so that you can favorably change the thoughts, beliefs, emotions and actions that have kept you as a smoker.
- As your guide I will facilitate a successful dialog between you, your subconscious and conscious mind during hypnosis. This is to straightforwardly help you understand, discover, and release the underlying cause for the dependency of your smoking habit. It also brings harmony between the critical mind and the accepting mind sphere. You can expect to quickly become a happy, healthy non-smoker for life because you find it inviting to live the life of success, as a dedicated healthy person.
- My specialized program includes 3 sessions. My previous clients share that preparation induces feelings of confidence, relaxation and augments tranquility. Valuable tools that you will receive include anchoring, breath work, self-hypnosis and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique); they can be used any time, and at any place.
- With my unique 3-part program, in week 1 ‘preparation phase’. You will be able to do reframing (mental rehearsals); you will then begin to imagine yourself doing great things and being comfortable with people as a, happy and healthy non-smoker. Session 1 also includes The Success Action Plan. It has been well said, “Without a plan, you are planning to fail”.
- We will be laying the groundwork for your upcoming success. Sessions 2 and 3 include time for answering any questions you may have, and of course, you will receive hypnosis. The total 3 part success program is approximately, 5 hours.
- As other smoking cessation clients have shared, you too can expect to embrace the idea of receiving a mental, physical, and emotional replacement for the nicotine habit! They enthusiastically remark how the ‘preparation phase’ in session 1 gave them the confidence, the ease of mind as well as the belief and expectation that they would succeed.
- You will receive my 23-page book entitled “Slaying the Nicotine Dragon.” This book is priceless with helping you transform unhealthy, unwanted habits. You will also become skilled at creating new favorable, conditional responses. It includes coping strategies for handling varied routine and crisis scenarios and, covers making desirable behavior modification. You will also understand how to identify your triggers, release them for good and successfully overcome “The Nicotine Dragon.”
Reclaim your life from “The Nicotine Dragon. Live smoke free! You are meant to live your life to the fullest extent including: feeling happy, contented and fully alive! At Alternative Wellness & Beyond, Polly is prepared to help you achieve, satisfying, pleasurable wellness transformations in your mind, body and spirit.
Phone: Give us a call at 828-504-2003 or e-mail: polly@BackboneBuilder.com